A census is taken every 10 years. Those currently available for public viewing cover the period 1841 to 1911 – data is only made available after 100 years have passed. Each household is required to complete a census return on a particular night. Thus, it merely provides details of who was present on that day, not necessarily of everybody who normally lives there. The data requested varies at each census, more information being available from the later ones. However, except for major dwellings such as the church, the school, larger houses and farms, there is no record of the actual location of each dwelling.The boundaries of Litton Cheney Parish have been manipulated at various times during the period covered by available census data. The following lists are taken from the introduction of each census.1841 - see below1851 - Covers the whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney including Loder Lands Farm, Eggardon, Stancombe Charitys, Gorwell, Ashley, Parks and Litton Cheney Village.View transcription1861 - Covers the whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney including Loder Lands Farm House, Eggardon Farm House, Dairy House and Cottages, Stancombe Cottages, Combe Farm House, Dairy House and Cottages, Litton Cheney Village and Charitys, Parks Dairy House, Ashley Dairy House and Cottages, and Gorwell Farm House and Cottages.View transcription1871 - Covers the whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney including Litton Cheney Village, Loder Lands Farm Houses, Eggerton, Stancombe, Charitys, Gorwell, Ashley, Parks, White Cross and Combe Farm House and Cottages. View transcription1881 - The whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney including Litton Cheney Village, Loder Lands Farm Houses, Eggerdon Farm House and Cottages, Stancombe Cottages, Charitys, Gorwell Farm House and Cottages, Ashley Dairy House and Cottages, Parkes Dairy-House, White Horse, Coombe Farm House and Cottages.View transcription1891 - The whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney is bounded on the West by Chilcombe, on the North by Askerswell, on the South by Puncknowle and on the East by Abbotsbury.It includes Litton Cheney Village, Stancombe Cottages, Gorwell Farm House and Cottages, Ashley Dairy House and Cottages, Parkes Dairy House, the White Horse Inn and Coombe Farm House and Cottages. Unfortunately the census document does not show addresses.View transcription1901 - The whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney is bounded on the West by Chilcombe, on the North by Powerstock and the Old Roman Road, on the South by Puncknowle and Swyre and on the East by Long Bredy.It includes the Parish of Litton Cheney, Stancombe Cottages, Coombe Farm House and Cottages, the White Horse Inn, School House and Cottages. Unfortunately the census document does not always show addresses.View transcription1911 - The whole of the Parish of Litton Cheney is bounded on the West by Chilcombe, on the North by Powerstock and the Old Roman Road, on the South by Puncknowle and Swyre and on the East by Long Bredy.It includes the Parish of Litton Cheney, Stancombe Cottages, Coombe Farm House and Cottages, the White Horse Inn, School House and Cottages.View transcriptionOccupationsThe table below summarises the occupations of Litton Cheney residents during the period covered. As one would expect, the majority were involved with various types of farm-work. However, many now defunct (as far as the village is concerned) occupations are listed e.g. cordwainer, brewer, baker, harness maker and, in particular, servant.
THE PASSING YEARS
The following are links to newspaper articles covering various aspects of life in Litton Cheney over nearly 200 years. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
The 1841 census gives no schedule numbers, no indication of relationship and ages over 15 years are rounded to the nearest five years. Like all censuses, it is merely a list of names and occupations giving no idea of who owns and occupies the land and buildings within the parish. The 1841 version is different, however, as it can be cross-referenced to the 1840 tithe map and associated apportionment. A transcription of the modified data can be viewed here. The associated tithe apportionment can be viewed hereThe parish of Litton Cheney was much larger than it is today stretching to the Roman road to the north, Gorwell to the south east and an entirely separated area between Askerswell and Powerstock known as Loder Lands. For ease of display, the tithe maps below have been divided into five sections:a.Loders Landb.Area north of the Dorchester to Bridport main roadc.Area south of the Dorchester to Bridport main roadd.Litton Cheney villagee.Ashley & GorwellOccupiers of the land and buildings are denoted by coloured markers. The following table shows the main occupiers of the 581 plots identified within the tithe apportionment.
No. PlotsNo. AcresNameOwnedOccupiedOwnedOccupiedRemarksRichard Brinsley Sheridan Esq.101181179148William Legg8481376353Walter Long Esq.7908400Rev Charles Fryer5904260Rev. Septimus Cox4572143500Samuel Brown2326100100All in Loders LandBlandford Charity2201640Rev. Gregory Raymond2001400George Fry18333517718 plots owned by Bradford CharityCharles Henvele Esq.180840Francis Gladwyn15161718Richard Groves152386114Elizabeth Hansford90560Charlotte Hunter70540Parish of Litton Cheney65105Includes chalkpit, sandpit, Poor House and PoundRichard Fowler20800William Symonds0680958All plots owned by Richard Brinsley Sheridan Esq.Charles Fry0780830All owned by Walter Long esq.John Kellaway0550425All in Loders Land; owned by Rev. Charles FryerThomas Palmer0150100Thomas Baker02080Plots owned by Richard FowlerRichard Mellish014065All plots owned by Charles Envele Esq.
1841 CENSUS RELATED TO THE 1840 TITHE MAP
**Note:1901 and 1911 scholar totals estimated from children’s ages i.e. 5 to 13 which was the compulsory period for education, although difficult to enforce. In 1841 there were 70+ children between the ages of 5 and 13 but no compulsory education.FamiliesIt is interesting to see how many names crop up during the period covered. Some families appear on as many as seven censuses and may continue after the 1911 version. The tableHERElists those that appear on at least two censuses.